The Tackle the Tar Obstacle Race is scheduled for May 19, 2018 Starting at 9:00 AM.
Three Days of Fun! See our Event Schedule page for special Tackle the Tar activities on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Cash Prizes, Trophies, and More: In addition to cash prizes for competitive heats, we are awarding other prizes, such as Best Costume. See our Race Information page for details.
Note on Pricing: Only race participants need to register and pay. The event is FREE to spectators. We welcome you to invite your friends and family to enjoy the music and watch you race. Spectators will only need cash for parking and food that you choose to purchase from vendors. Read our FAQ page for more details.
Before you register, please familiarize yourself with the event details on our FAQ page. This will give you valuable information regarding the race, what you will need, and how you will pick up your race packet.
Register today and purchase your ticket for this race. Please Note: You will be directed away from our site when you click on the Register icon below. Payments are processed securely through EventBrite.
How old do you need to be to run?
A: You must be at least 14 years old on the day of the race to run the Tackle the Tar 5K Obstacle Race. However, kids ages 8-13 may run in the 1 Mile Kids Obstacle Race. The spectator area is completely free and fun for all ages.
Participants 8-13 may only run in the 1 Mile Kids Obstacle Race at 11:15 A.M.
Participants ages 14-15 must run with a parent or guardian over 18, and are excluded from competitive heats.
Participants 16-17 may run in the fun run only, but must have completed a Parental Consent form (Download Here).
All other participants 18+ are free to run in any race with the completion of the Participant Waiver form (Download Here).
For more information about rules, regulations, and what to expect, read our FAQ.
New 1 Mile Kids Obstacle Race
Kids 8-13 years of age will be racing through a 1 mile obstacle course designed with them in mind.
New K9 & Their Human Obstacle Course
Our last heat of the day is a special heat at 11:30 A.M. for dogs and their owners. Proceeds will benefit Odin’s Orphan’s, here in Rocky Mount. (See odinsorphansrescue.org for details). Runners will recieve the same medals and perks as our regular heats (shirt, beer & medal)
- Open to anyone 14+. 1 dog per runner
- Dogs are only allowed 1.5 hours before their heat (10AM).
- ALL dogs must have their rabies tag on their collar (name tag is preferred)
- Dog must be 6 months or older
- Be sure to bring a towel for clean up after the race
- Kids must be at least 14 or old to run with a dog (18 and under must be with adult)
- We prefer the 4′ leash but on this event, they could go up to 6′ max
- Dogs attending should be well-behaved, non-aggressive and not be easily intimidated or stressed by large crowds or loud noises. Dogs will experience barking, loud speaking voices, clapping, cheering and unpredictability throughout the event. We ask owners to please be considerate of these factors before registering your dog to attend our event.
- No nose to nose contact with other dogs
- Keep about 4’- 5’ between each dog (allow ample space for any new dog. New and some existing dogs need extra space)
- Bring Poop Bags
ONLINE REGISTRATION will not be available after Thursday, May 17th at 12:00 PM!
You are welcome to register on-site Friday night from 6-9 PM at the Bishop Stadium or Saturday before the race!
T-shirt, medal, and goodie bags are not guaranteed for anyone that registers after 5/1/18.
Visit our registration page at tacklethetar2018.eventbrite.com
Save money by registering early. See the pricing chart below:
|3/22/17 – 7/31/17||$30.00|
|8/1/17 – 10/31/17||$35.00|
|11/1/17 – 12/31/17||$40.00|
|1/1/18 – 2/28/18||$50.00|
|3/1/2018 – 4/30/2018||$60.00|
|5/1/2018 – 5/16/2018||$65.00|
|5/17/2018 – Day of||$75.00|
Special Discount For Military Personnel, EMS, Police & Fire Department, and Students:
Qualifying runners can save an additional $5 off the current ticket price. Tackle the Tar is glad to honor ALL (active, reserve, retired, and veteran) military personnel with this discount. If you register using this military discount, you must produce a valid military ID when you pick up your race packet. EMS, Police and Firemen must produce a valid badge or proof of employment. If you register as a student discount, you must produce a valid student ID.
To claim this discount, enter or click the codes below that corresponds with your date of purchase:
- 11/01/2017 – 12/31/2017: SPECIAL-NOVDEC
- 01/01/2018 – 02/28/2018: SPECIAL-JANFEB
- 03/01/2018 – 04/30/2018: SPECIAL-MARAPR
- 05/01/2018 – 05/16/2018: SPECIAL-MAY
- 05/17/2018 – Day of – Register in person. Bring ID to qualify
For Group Block Purchases of 10 or more:
Group rates are available if you plan on running with a group and want to be in the same heat. For more information about qualifying and receiving a group rate, contact Kristen Brabble at KristenBrabble@firstcarolinabank.com.